The Department of Biological Sciences offers studies at the leading edge of life science research. Areas of study and research are infectious and vector-borne diseases, cell and cancer biology, physiology, ecology and evolution.
The department offers programs that lead to the M.S. and Ph.D. degrees, with an emphasis on the latter. Both require original research and that students present a thesis or dissertation. Graduate students conduct their research in any of 30 faculty laboratories.
Director of Graduate Studies:
Research Centers, Institutes, and Programs
- Center for Environmental Science and Technology (CEST)
- Center for Stem Cells and Regenerative Medicine
- Center for Zebrafish Research
- Eck Institute for Global Health
- Environmental Change Initiative
- Environmental Molecular Sciences Institute (EMSI)
- GLOBES Program: GLOBES Interdisciplinary Graduate Certificate in Environment and Society
- Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Biocomplexity
- University of Notre Dame Environmental Research Center (UNDERC)