Five University of Notre Dame faculty members received prestigious National Science Foundation (NSF) Early Career Development (CAREER) Awards in 2021. Since 2014, Notre Dame faculty have earned 55 of these nationally competitive awards.
“The University is proud of our early career faculty for earning these prestigious NSF awards,” said Robert J. Bernhard, vice president for research and professor of aerospace and mechanical engineering at Notre Dame. “Even in a challenging year for researchers, our faculty have excelled and the passion they have for their work is what allows Notre Dame to continue to grow as a distinctive and distinguished research university.”
The CAREER award recipients, who come from the Colleges of Arts and Letters, Engineering, and Science are as follows:
- David Burghoff, assistant professor of electrical engineering, received the award for his research proposal, “Intersubband neurons for ultrafast optical neural networks.”
- Donny Hanjaya-Putra, assistant professor of aerospace and mechanical engineering, received the award for his study titled, “An integrated research and education program to investigate hypoxia and matrix remodeling during stem cell differentiation and lymphatic morphogenesis.”
- Marco Radeschi, assistant professor of mathematics, received the award for his project, “Singular Riemannian foliations and applications to curvature and invariant theory.”
- Hannah Rubin, assistant professor of philosophy, received the award for her research, “Race, gender, and the science of science.”
- Emily Tsui, assistant professor of chemistry and biochemistry, received the award for her study titled, “Formation and redox chemistry of metal polysulfanido complexes for sulfur transfer reactions.”
The CAREER award program, which was established by the NSF in 1995, recognizes and supports outstanding early career faculty who exhibit a commitment to stimulating research while also providing educational opportunities for students.
To learn about the University’s previous CAREER awardees, please visit https://research.nd.edu/our-services/funding-opportunities/faculty/early-career-programs/nsf---career-award/.
Originally published by research.nd.edu on May 05, 2021.at